The original Redford Branch, located at 21511 West McNichols, opened on November 22, 1926. As the neighborhood outgrew the beautiful stone building, a larger facility was needed to accommodate neighborhood growth. The current facility, located just across Grand River from the original Redford Branch, is built on the site of Detroit’s old Receiving Hospital. This new branch opened February 16, 1981 with a generous 20,000+ square feet, and includes meeting rooms, as well as children’s and adult areas. The branch name is the name of the community in which it is located and which it serves.
Two large annual events with vendors and special activities take place at the Redford Branch: Kwanzaa in December and Juneteenth in June.
The branch also has a community garden with raised beds featuring flowers and vegetables.
Meeting Rooms/Space Rentals
Redford Branch has two primary meeting rooms, immediately adjacent to our front entrance, which are available for community and non-profit groups. The larger room can accommodate up to 50 people, and the smaller room up to 20 people. There is a divider between the two rooms which can be removed for very large events. There is an additional meeting space in the basement.