Please join us for an evening presentation and discussion of notable items from the Detroit Public Library (DPL) Special Collections. A display of nearly 30 trasures of cultural, historical, social and literary significance will be presented to Friends Foundation members and their guests as our annual thank you to DPL supporters. DPL Special Collections Coordinator, Mr. Mark Bowden, will showcase select items from the Burton Historical Collection, the Rare Book Collection, the National Automotive History Collection, the E.Azalia Hackley Collection, and the Lulu and Ernie Harwell Sports Collection. Items to be presented will include:
- Illuminated Book of HOurs from the 15th Century
- George Washington Diary (1789-1790)
- Belle Isle Deed and Wampum Belt (1795)
- "Notes on Motor Carriages with Hints for Purchasers and Users") (1896)
- Motown Promotional Materials
- Detroit Tigers Team Correspondence for the purchase of Ty Cobb's Contract (1906)
A convivial reception honoring the generosity of Mary Adelaide Hester and her admiration and regard for the Detroit Public Library and its Rare Book Collection will immediately follow in the Burton Historical Collection Reading Room.
>RSVP to Detroit Public Library Friends Foundation (313) 481-1357 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Non-members and guests will be asked for a modest donation of $10 to attend. FREE to members of The Friends and members of the Book Club of Detroit.
5201 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48202