On October 12, 1942, nine residents of Detroit and Southeast Michigan became the founding board of directors of the Friends of the Detroit Public Library. When the group filed its incorporation papers with the Michigan Corporation and Securities Council, the filing fees were $15, considered a major sum seventy years ago. This launched what we know today as the Detroit Public Library Friends Foundation, on a seven-decade journey to support the work of the Library, including purchasing materials, funding programs and enhancing special collections - the Burton Historical Collection, the National Automotive History Collection and the E. Azalia Hackley Collection. Of special significance is the Friends Foundation's longtime support of Summer Reading, Junior Great Books and Author Day.
The Friends Foundation is also the "parent" organization for Friends groups at Duffield, Elmwood Park, Jefferson and Lincoln library branches.
Please visit http://www.detroitpubliclibrary.org/friends-foundation , become a member and join in supporting their efforts on behalf of the Detroit Public Library.